- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Decorator Sugar, for rolling
- 24 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or SilPat. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and orange zest, using your fingers to mix well, making sugar a uniform color and scented.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter with sugar and orange juice until fluffy and well combined. Add egg and then vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Add cocoa mixture all at once to creamed butter and sugar. Mix until just combined.
- Roll balls of dough, roughly 1 inch in diameter. Dough is quite firm and easily rolled. Roll dough balls in decorator sugar. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a Kiss into center of each cookie. Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes; remove to cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.