Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
0:45 to 0:55
10 -12 meringues
- Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Gradually add granulated sugar, keeping 2 tablespoons in reserve. Continue to beat egg whites and sugar until mixture stands in peaks.
- Place mixture over hot water and fold in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Gently fold in almond extract.
- Scoop mixture into a pastry bag and shape into nests on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 45-55 minutes at 300°F or until set. Let cool completely.
- Fill centers with strawberries, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar, if desired.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe originally published in the Romantic Recipes of the Old South Cookbook, circa 1950.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Cortney Scott :: Cathy :: Sherry :: Vicky S :: Vickilynn :: Jennifer :: Jennifer D :: ahamner :: Carolynne Huckins :: Nicole M :: Theresa George :: Heather J :: Pamela :: erika morey :: Lit Velasquez :: Sharon :: GADGET GIRL :: crystal :: diana :: Irel A