Freeze 20-30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 2 lemons (no white bitter pith)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fresh lemon zest for garnish
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg, salt, zest off lemon and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and mix until dough forms, do not overmix.
- Place dough in refrigerator or freezer until firm enough to be rolled in balls, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove dough in one tablespoon amounts and shape round. Roll in turbinado and press 1/4 inch thick onto parchment lined or buttered cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven until very light golden, about 12 minutes.
- Let cool on baking pan for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare lemon icing. Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until combined. Top each cookie with a small dollop of icing and then spread it around in a circle. Top with fresh lemon zest, if desired.