- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups well packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 egg yolks from large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 4 egg whites-free of egg yolk traces
- Décor: As needed Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For easy removal of the baked Chess squares, line a 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan with parchment paper. If no parchment paper is used, butter and flour pan.
- Melt butter and remove from heat. Stir in both sugars and mix until well combined. Stir in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and stir into the above. Add nuts.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites until firm.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites in above mixture. Add another 1/3 and then remaining amount. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until center feels firm. Let cool. Remove from pan and cut in squares.
- Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar as desired.