- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat. Set aside.
- Make sour milk by adding 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice to milk. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
- To make cookies start by creaming butter and sugar on medium speed in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix slightly.
- Dissolve baking soda in sour milk and add to sugar mixture. Add lemon extract, baking powder and flour. Mix well.
- Dough is thin and will spread. Drop by teaspoonfuls (or use a piping bag) at least 3 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges just begin to turn golden brown.
- Immediately move to wire rack to cool. Let cool completely prior to adding glaze.
- To make glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add more sugar for thickness, more lemon juice for thinness. Drizzle glaze on cookies. Let stand until glaze has set before serving.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
NOTE: Lemon Cake Cookies are just as great topped with Lemon Butter Cream Frosting.