- 1 cup egg whites (about 8) without any traces of yolk
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 3/4 cup semi or bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 210°F.
- Place egg whites in a medium mixing bowl. Beat egg whites with a stand mixer on high speed for about 1 minute.
- Continue to beat while gradually adding sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat.
- If using chocolate, gently fold in by hand. Once combined stop folding.
- Using a spoon drop the meringue in generous 2 tablespoon amounts on parchment lined cookies sheets. For ice cream cake, spread meringue 1/3-inch thick into a circle using the same dimensions as a springform pan.
- Place in oven and bake until meringue is thoroughly crisp, about 45-60 minutes depending on how big meringues are. Turn oven off and leave the meringues in oven with the door closed for 1 hour. Breaking a baked meringue in half will help with determining doneness. When broken in half interior should become dry and non-sticky within a minute.
- Once cooled store meringue airtight to prevent meringue from becoming soggy.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
French style meringue is very light and has a delicate texture. Feel free to incorporate fresh grated lemon peel, instant coffee, non-brewed tea or whatever you prefer. The key to great meringue is a low oven temperature and opening the oven door once in a while to release moisture buildup.