- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid red food color
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy. Add both sugars and combine well. Add egg and mix until well incorporated. Add peppermint and salt.
- Add flour and mix briefly until just incorporated. Divide dough in half. Add red food color to one half of dough. Mix until color is smooth throughout.
- Press both pieces of dough 1/4 inch thick onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for about 45-60 minutes until firm.
- Working on 2 candy canes at a time, remove 2 individual tablespoons of both red and non colored cookie dough. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator.
- First, roll each piece of dough in balls and then roll into an even 6 inch tube, if needed use a tiny amount of flour to keep dough from sticking. Twist a red and plain dough tube together.
- Roll gently to make twist evenly flat. Curve on end to create a candy cane shape.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheets about 1/4 inch apart.
- Place in oven and bake until still pale in color and bottom is slightly golden, about 11-13 minutes.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Sprinkle with pure cane sugar or turbinado prior to baking for an extra sparkle.