- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups light brown sugar or Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Halloween decorations: From Sur la Table
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave bowl until just melted, do not boil! In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together eggs, melted butter and oil until smooth.
- Add pumpkin puree, brown sugar, salt and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until batter is smooth. Do not over-mix.
- Either use a piping bag fitted with a large sized plain tip or using a spoon, drop/pipe two tablespoon amounts onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 13 minutes. Let cool.
- Pipe or spoon cream cheese frosting on one whoopie pie half and sandwich with another. Decorate as desired.