- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, very cold
- 2 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a box grater, move cold butter sticks back and forth over the small “eyes” of grater. (Same procedure as you would grate cheese).
- Combine grated butter, powdered sugar, salt and flour in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (or use hand held mixer fitted with beaters) Mix on low speed until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Place dough in refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 30-40 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile on the work surface area where you will be rolling dough, place a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes to chill this area.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into desired shapes. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place briefly in freezer to make the cutouts very cold and firm. Continue with remaining dough.
- Using a stamp, press firmly into dough to obtain well defined marks (or use cutlery). Brush with water and sprinkle with extra fine granulated sugar.
- Bake until very light in color, about 16-18 minutes, depending on thickness.
- If desired decorate with royal icing with preferred color.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
A stamp is used to imprint these darling cookies. If you prefer you can use forks and knifes to imprint these cookies. These cookies are not very sweet and therefore are ideal if finished with royal icing.