- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
*Using spoon fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. (Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. Place 24 cupcake baking cups in a muffin tin and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until very creamy. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for the previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape well and mix briefly. Add 1/2 of buttermilk and mix until combined, scrape well and mix briefly.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of flour and add remaining buttermilk scraping well in between. Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill paper cups 3/4 full and place in oven, bake until center of the cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22 to 23 minutes. Some cupcake pans are smaller and others are larger so time may vary.
- Meanwhile make frosting: Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add brown sugar, vanilla, milk and salt and mix on medium speed for 10 minutes. (Mixing for at least this length of time will dissolve brown sugar crystals better and make icing smoother.)
- Add flour all at once and on low speed mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix smooth.
- Using a spatula spread frosting on surface of cupcakes.