Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream
Prep time :
Freeze 8 hours or more
- In small sauce pot, combine the milk, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and vanilla bean seeds and empty bean pod and stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for one hour.
- After one hour, remove bean pod (save for later use). Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan and heat until thickened.
- Pour heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add vanilla extract, stir, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.
- In a small saucepot, combine 1 cup blueberries and 1/3 cup of sugar over low heat. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes or more, until blueberries have broken down and made a syrup. Removed from heat and puree in blender once cooled to room temperature.
- When ice cream has finished freezing in ice cream maker, stir in blueberry syrup by hand. Freeze until ready to serve.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: JJ15 :: ZT :: momallison :: samir7302 :: Helen :: Me :: Terry :: Shan :: Gloria :: leslie :: Art S :: brandie :: Patty Diaz :: LoriR :: Mollee :: Phyllisj :: Christine G :: Brian :: Kelly :: Chirsty