Toasted Coconut Ice Cream with Strawberry Sauce
Prep time :
Steep for one hour and refrigerate overnight
5 - 6 cups ice cream
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 4 tablespoons coconut liquor
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup very ripe and flavorful strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On 2 cookie sheets scatter coconut evenly. Place in oven and do not walk far from oven as coconut will quickly burn. It should be light golden brown within about 5-6 minutes.
- Bring to a full boil milk and toasted coconut. Remove from heat and let steep at least 1 hour or for optimum flavor overnight in refrigerator.
- Strain mixture and discard coconut. Re-measure stained milk to obtain exactly 2 cups. (Coconut will have absorbed a lot of milk.) Drink any remaining coconut milk.
- Bring milk back to a boil with sugar, remove from heat and add whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract. Add liquor if using.
- To ensure a smooth ice cream it is essential that the ice cream mixture is very cold before pouring it in ice cream maker.) Therefore place it first in a bowl filled with ice water until very cold before churning.
- Churn ice cream according to machine manufacturer’s directions.
- For strawberry sauce: Bring sugar and water to a full boil and set aside until cold.
- Wash strawberries and cut in small pieces to obtain 1 cup.
- Combine strawberries with syrup and pour in a blender. Puree until very smooth.
- Pour on ice cream and serve with fresh strawberries if desired.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Karen E :: BRITTANY M :: Peachy-Keen4U :: missinyankees :: chuongle :: Mary Thompson :: nprisner :: Deborah & Cynthia R :: Rick H :: Auntt :: Gabe :: Connie W :: darla :: Judy Davenport :: Jacqueline P :: Dawn T :: Drew :: wrentha w :: ChefJan :: Haysmsrd