Vanilla Bean Frozen Custard
Prep time :
Just under 1 quart
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk together until smooth.
- Whisk the remaining milk, split vanilla pod and seeds, salt, and sugar together in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Heat on low until warmed, remove from the heat, then cover and let steep up to 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add in approximately 1 cup of the warmed milk. Whisk well. Pour the egg mixture back into the pan with the warmed milk. Whisk to combine.
- Place the saucepan back on the burner over medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a silicone spatula until thickened, 7-8 minutes. The mixture should not come to a boil. The custard is ready when it coats the back of a wooden spoon and when a finger is dragged along the back of the spoon, the line created there stays and does not flow back together. Alternatively, use a thermometer and heat to 170 degrees.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Whisk in the cream and vanilla extract. Discard vanilla pod and any solids.
- In a larger bowl, prepare an ice bath by filling about ¼ full with water and ice. Place the bowl of custard into the ice bath bowl and let sit, stirring occasionally until cooled.
- Remove the custard bowl from the ice bath, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. The mixture will be soft once finished. Freeze in a freezer-safe container with plastic wrap pressed on top to harden to a scoopable consistency. Once hardened, let sit out 5 minutes or so before scooping.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: jan c :: Christine S :: Brenda G :: Dawn R :: Lisa :: Brooke :: gamommy :: Shirley S :: brittlindsey :: Salena R :: Nicole A :: jnjm :: Michael C :: Susan C :: Ledonna D :: Sharon K :: Nancy :: Brynleah :: llanderos :: mellobro