- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons spiced chai drink mix powder
- 24 wonton wrappers (usually sold in 14 ounce package of 42 wrappers)
- 2 1/2 cups canola oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon (for dusting) Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- In heavy-bottomed 2 quart or larger saucepan, warm sugar on medium high heat for 1 minute. Add butter and whisk until it fully melts. Continue whisking and slowly add cream and pomegranate juice. Whisk until sauce is smooth.
- Allow to cool in saucepan for a few minutes, then transfer to another heat safe dish and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, pumpkin, brown sugar, and chai mix. Beat with electric mixer until well blended, about one minute. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil to 2.5 quart or larger pot. Heat on medium high. While oil is heating, arrange wrappers in a single layer on a flat surface. Place a small bowl of water on the counter as well.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of chilled filling in center of each wrapper. Form an envelop around the filling by folding 2 side corners up over filling, then bottom corner, then top corner. Dab water on all four corners so that they adhere to one another.
- Line a large plate with a paper towel to drain excess oil after puffs are cooked. Gently place 2-3 puffs in very hot oil. Fry until golden, about 30 seconds, then flip and fry an additional 30 seconds until golden brown. Remove from oil with metal slotted spoon and place on lined plate. Repeat until all puffs are cooked. Dust or sprinkle with powdered sugar, transfer to serving plate alongside dipping sauce, and serve immediately.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Hints: Dipping sauce and creamy pumpkin filling can be made and refrigerated up to 2 days ahead. In this case, remove dipping sauce from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Pumpkin filling can go straight from refrigerator into wonton wrapper envelopes just prior to frying.