- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- Red food coloring as needed
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare a mini donut pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa and sugar. Add in buttermilk and egg; stir to combine.
- Stir in butter, vanilla and vinegar. Add this mixture to the doughnut batter, then add in red food coloring as desired.
- Use a spoon to fill each doughnut mold 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing. Top with cream cheese icing, if desired.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.