- Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 3 Golden Delicious apples
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (or additional flour)
- 1/2 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 15 x 10 inch pan with parchment and set aside.
- Rolling the dough will be easiest when being rolled onto a large sheet of lightly floured parchment paper. Reason being is that you can transfer the sheet to a refrigerator or freezer if dough gets sticky while rolling it. Otherwise roll on floured surface large enough to cover entire pan including sides. Roll dough onto rolling pin and unroll it onto pan. Press onto sides and into corners, trim overhanging dough and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Peel and quarter apples and cut each quarter crosswise in 10-12 slices. Toss in sugar mixture to prevent browning of apples. Add vanilla.
- Melt butter and add. Arrange apple filling in crust.
- Prepare crumble by combining flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn streusel into small lumps and consequently into crumbles.
- Sprinkle crumble topping generously over apples and place in oven. Keep in oven for about 50-60 minutes or until apple filling makes thick bubbles (consistency of honey) which are visibly showing on top of slab. If the slab gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and candied pecans and serve warm or cold.