- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3/4 cup half-half
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs until yolk and whites are combined and no strings remain. Add pumpkin, apple butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and combine well. Stir in half and half.
- Pour into pie shell and place in oven. After 10 minutes reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake until center of pie no longer trembles and has set, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and then transfer to refrigerator.
- Prepare streusel/crumble by combining flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn streusel into small lumps and consequently into crumbles. Stir in pecans.
- Spread evenly onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in a 350°F oven fragrant and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir mixture halfway during baking for even baking results. When cooled store in plastic bag.
- To ensure a crisp streusel/crumble sprinkle this topping generously on the pie right before serving.