Cookie Style Pie Dough
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup lime juice, preferably fresh
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, soft
- 4-5 just ripe bananas
- Crème Chantilly
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled. Turn oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile chill the work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area. Set aside an 9 inch pie tin.
- Sprinkle the chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie tin. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick bottom and sides with a fork and place in oven. Place in oven and bake for approximately 13 minutes or until golden and edges are light brown. Set aside.
- In a non reactive saucepan bring lime juice and half of sugar to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs for 2 minutes and quickly whisk in remaining sugar. Pour half of boiling lime syrup into eggs and beat well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the remaining lime syrup and whisk back to a boil. Boil for 1 minute while constantly whisking and mixture has the consistency of thick bubbling honey. Remove from heat allow to cool to 130°F. Without using a thermometer, it is best to err on the cool side.
- Add SOFT butter in small nuggets and stir with a spatula. If the butter was too cold and refuses to dissolve in the curd, place for a few seconds in the microwave. Pour into prebaked pie shell and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile make sauce by bringing to a boil butter, brown sugar, heavy cream and salt. Boil for 3 minutes while stirring with a heat resistant spatula. Allow to cool.
- It is easier and tidier to cut pie before topping it with bananas and cream. Cut pie into desired wedges and place on plates.
- Peel bananas and if desired toss in some lime juice plus lime zest. Place on pie wedges. Top with crème Chantilly, pecan halves and drizzle with caramel sauce.