Fresh Sour Cherry Pie with Lattice Crust
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
One 9-inch pie
- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 4 tablespoons almond or cherry liquor or water
- 3/4 Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon instant tapioca
- 5 cups sour cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (only if using sweet cherries)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cherry pies create juicy bubbles which spill over during baking, for easy clean up, place pie shell on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine liquor, sugar and tapioca.
- Pit cherries and add to above mixture.
- Melt butter and add along with salt. Add lemon juice if using non-sour cherries.
- Allow tapioca to hydrate for 20 minutes before placing in pie shell.
- Fill in pie shell. On a well-floured surface roll remaining pie dough 3-4 credit cards thick.
- Cut into strips and place first strip onto center of pie. Place second strip crosswise over first. Place remaining strips starting from center strips in clockwise fashion onto pie.
- Place in oven and bake until thick visible bubbles have formed on pie, indicating that tapioca has properly thickened the juices, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
- This cherry pie recipe is best with fresh sour cherries. If using standard sweet cherries add lemon juice for a delectable balance of flavor.
- If in a time-crunch, a pre-made butter crust can be used.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Christina M :: Jessica Santibanez :: Shirley :: Lea Davis :: Arlemons :: Dianiel :: cbm421 :: Brenda W :: NanaJoan :: Claudia H :: vickifox65 :: Suzanne :: lisakay777 :: polly :: Mama Dee :: Cheryl T :: chelle :: ssoles :: Mom of 7 :: thomcy