- 1 + 2/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (12 ounces) chocolate chip, 42-50% cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional: Green food color, few drops
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6-8 ounce premium white chocolate
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To be needed later for the chocolate curls: Place a marble pastry board* in a freezer for one hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter a 9 or 10-inch springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda; set aside.
- Cut butter in cubes and place in a bowl along with the chocolate. Melt on low in a microwave or set bowl over barely simmering water while constantly stirring. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk vigorously for 1 minute until well combined. Add melted chocolate along with salt and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Spread batter into cake pan.
- Place in oven and bake until center of brownies feels slightly firm when pressed with a finger, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool before making peppermint cream/mousse.
- Once cooled, keep brownie layer in springform pan. Evenly brush a thin layer of cooking oil (or use cooking spray) on inside of springform pan. Set aside.
- For peppermint cream mousse: bring milk and sugar to a near boil and remove from heat.
- Mix gelatin into water and wait 5 minutes. Add to heated milk mixture and stir to combine well. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Meanwhile whip heavy cream in a cold bowl to a very soft consistency (but not until it forms peaks!)
- When milk/gelatin mixture feels slightly warmer than room temperature (about 85°F) add mint extract and pour in whipped cream.
- Fold together using a spatula. Pour onto cooled brownie layer. Place in refrigerator until set, about 2 hours or overnight. Remove springform pan, if needed go around with a sharp knife to loosen sides.
- Prior to serving, prepare chocolate curls. Read following steps before starting: Chop chocolate in small pieces and place in a microwave oven proof bowl. Melt chocolate in 7 second increments in microwave, stir in between heating. Stop heating once chocolate is just melted.
- Have a metal cake spatula ready. Remove cold stone from freezer and rapidly pour about 4-6 tablespoons (do not measure-guesstimate) of melted chocolate on stone. Very quickly spread chocolate as thin as you can onto cold stone.
- Using your spatula lift up pieces of chocolate and roll and fold into curled shapes.
- Repeat with remaining chocolate. Make sure to wipe off any condensation of the surface while making curls.
- Place on torte.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
*A large marble or high gloss ceramic tile works equally well. Be sure to clean thoroughly first.