- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine sliced strawberries, sliced rhubarb (if using frozen defrost first), sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt.
- Allow tapioca to hydrate for 40 minutes before placing in pie shell. This step is important as tapioca needs proper hydration before being baked. Omitting this step will make a pie that does not thicken properly.
- Fill pie shell. On a well-floured surface roll remaining pie dough 3-4 credit cards thick.
- Cut into strips and place first strip onto center of pie. Place second strip crosswise over first. Place remaining strips starting from center strips in clockwise fashion onto pie.
- Place in oven and after 15 minutes turn oven to 340°F. Bake until thick visible bubbles have formed on pie, indicating that tapioca has properly thickened the juices, about 1 hour and 50 minutes. If pie gets too dark on the surface cover it loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. Placing the pie on the bottom rack will also reduce surface color.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Tapioca is considered the very best thickener for fruit pies as it allows the fruit flavor to really shine through in a most refreshing manner. If you never had this type of pie, may we suggest to give it a go. It will not disappoint!