Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
One 9-inch pie
- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft in small pieces
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Piecrust dough (for decorative leaves)
- Optional: 1 small bag mini marshmallows
- Optional: 1 small bag whole pecans
- Optional for decorative leaves: Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch piecrust. Place on a foil or parchment lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes in even thickness slices and place in cold water in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and puree potatoes using a hand held blender or standard blender. The puree should be very smooth.
- Measure to obtain 2 cups of blended sweet potato puree. Whisk in brown sugar, butter, egg yolk, milk, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Whisk egg whites to soft peak and fold into sweet potato mixture. Pour filling into pie shell and place in oven at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake until center no longer trembles, about 45-50 minutes.
- Place a few mini marshmallows on top and return pie to oven for a few minutes until marshmallows have melted and are slightly brown.
- Optional: Roll additional piecrust dough to 1/8 inch and cut leaves or other patterns. Any leftover piecrust can be stored in freezer. Using back of a pairing knife make veins or other designs. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and brush with water. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake until light golden, approximately 12-15 minutes. Place leaves on baked pie along with whole pecans lined around edge.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: RODNEYHEBERT :: Driley :: mattwales :: Shonda :: Stu :: Chef CB :: Grandma's Baking :: Kathryn F :: DrLynn :: Bernice :: N :: Brenda G :: merri :: Patti :: Derek Payne :: Chef Lisa :: eemm1948 :: jess A :: Dakota :: Desiree Johnson