Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse
Prep time :
Chill several hours
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup extra strong coffee (or espresso)
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, softened
- 8 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. Add coffee, stir well, then stir in Grand Marnier.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth. Add in butter, beating it in for one minute after it has melted completely.
- Then using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks in one by one (reserving egg whites for later). After last yolk is well incorporated, continue beating mixture for 7 minutes. In another bowl, beat 8 egg whites until foamy, then add a pinch of salt.
- Continue beating until soft peaks form, then gradually add sugar, a spoonful at a time. Beat egg whites until stiff. In another bowl, beat chilled cream until thick (place bowl on a bed of ice or in a larger bowl containing ice and water). Fold egg whites gently into whipped cream.
- Stir 1/4 of mixture into cooled chocolate mixture, blending thoroughly. Then gently spoon rest of egg white/cream mixture and very gently fold it in.
- Pour or spoon mousse into individual bowls or glasses and chill several hours until completely set.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh orange shavings if desired.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: casey :: Stephanie R :: coulonn :: christimb :: cjpillow :: Florence :: CouponQueenT :: Margie Penate :: Cass Garcia :: ChefRob :: Tenna W :: Louis :: Ana Espinosa :: larri :: GEM :: flojoe :: carolyn m myers :: Forrest L :: CynGib :: Zinger