- 2 1/2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest (zest from approximately 2 large lemons)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice (juice from approximately 1 large lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (or berries of choice)
- 2-4 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter and sugar four 10 ounce ramekins or five 7 ounce ramekins and set aside.
- In a small bowl measure out sugar.
- Add lemon zest and with your fingers, rubbing firmly, rub zest into sugar. This will release oils from citrus zest and perfume th sugar with lemon flavor and scent.
- Sift flour and salt into bowl with zested sugar and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, buttermilk and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Turn speed to low and slowly add sugar and flour and mix just until incorporated. (Batter will be runny.)
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add batter to whipped egg whites and gently fold the two into one another until mixed.
- Place ramekins in a large roasting pan (or similar) and fill with hot water around ramekins so that it reaches half way up sides.
- Pour batter into buttered and sugared ramekins dividing evenly and bake 40 minutes until they're golden brown and spring back when gently pressed.
- Allow to cool slightly then invert gently onto a serving dish and serve with puree of choice.
- Garnish with whole berries and mint sprigs.
- Using a stand blender, food processor or emersion blender, add berries and 2 tablespoons sugar and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sugar if needed.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Christy Landry @myinvisiblecrwn.
NOTE: Meyer lemons are a hybrid of lemons and mandarin oranges. You can use half lemon juice and half mandarin oranges to obtain a very close flavor profile of Meyer lemons. Compared to regular lemons, Meyer lemons are thinner- and smoother-skinned, rounder in shape, and have a deeper yellow-orange hue. Less acidic than regular lemons their zest and juice has herbal, even floral undertones.