Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- 3/4 cup cake flour*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups, divided Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspooon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make the Chocolate Angel Food Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift cake flour, cocoa powder and 3/4 cup of sugar together in a large bowl.
- Mix together egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until soft peaks. With the mixer still running, slowly add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks.
- Reduce mixer to low speed. Slowly add flour, vanilla and almond extract. Gently scrape down the sides as necessary. Be careful not to over mix; it should be just barely combined.
- Pour into an ungreased angel food cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes; until the top springs back when you gently press on it.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and invert the pan until it cools completely. Gently run a thin knife around the sides and the bottom until the cake releases.
- To make the Whipped Cream: Whip heavy cream until soft peaks. Slowly add sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble parfaits: Cut Chocolate Angel Food Cake into small cubes. In parfait glasses, place a few cubes of cake in the bottom. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Add a layer of strawberries, another layer of cake, and top with whipped cream. Finish each parfait with another layer of strawberries. Best served within 2 hours, or the cake will get soggy.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.