- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour*
- 1 egg white for sealing dough
- 11/2 quarts peanut oil
Key Lime Cannoli Filling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest (no white bitter pith)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Fresh lime wedges for garnish
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For shells: In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, wine, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, lemon zest and vegetable oil.
- Add flour and knead until dough is very smooth about 3-5 minutes. Cover with plastic and place in a refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, keep it covered and remove a whole pecan size amount at a time. Roll each piece into an oval- round and evenly thin to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Wrap dough around Cannoli tubes and seal the overlapping part with a tiny amount of egg white. Do not use too much egg white as doing so may make the seal come undone during frying.
- Place plastic wrap on each shell as you finish it.
- Once all shells are wrapped on tubes, heat oil to 375°F. Remove plastic wrap and fry shells for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil using tongs and transfer on paper towels.
- While cannoli shells are cooling, prepare key lime cannoli filling.
- Mix cream cheese and sugar on low speed until blended. Scrape well and mix on low speed until lumps are gone. (Do not mix on high speed as this may cause the filling to become runny.)
- Add lime zest and juice and combine well.
- Mix in ricotta cheese and mix until well blended.
- Pipe or spoon into cooled cannoli shells.
- Garnish with lime wedges or sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
- If you are in a hurry, you can use prepared cannoli shells or the frozen puff pastry dough found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
- Do not fill cannoli shells more than a hour before serving.
- Cannoli tubes can be found in most kitchen supply stores.