Key Lime Cannoli
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
Oven Baked Cannoli
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup quick cook oats
- 2 tablespoons almonds, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
Key Lime Cannoli Filling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest (no white bitter pith)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Fresh lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, oats and cocoa in a medium sized mixing bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl mix the melted butter, vanilla, almond extract and beaten egg whites using a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients gradually into the flour and sugar mixture and mix until well blended.
- Place one tablespoon of batter on parchment paper and spread with a spatula into a circle. Repeat to make 12 shells. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until slightly soft.
- Immediately transfer cannoli (while still on parchment paper) to a wire rack. Quickly roll each cannoli around a metal cannoli tube, 1-inch in diameter. Ends should slightly overlap.
- If cannoli becomes to hard to roll, return it to oven for 60 seconds to soften.
- Cool completely before removing cannoli tube. Carefully remove tubes as cannoli shells are fragile.
- While cannoli shells are cooling, prepare key lime cannoli filling.
- Mix cream cheese and sugar on low speed until blended. Scrape well and mix on low speed until lumps are gone. (Do not mix on high speed as this may cause the filling to become runny.)
- Add lime zest and juice and combine well.
- Mix in ricotta cheese and mix until well blended.
- Pipe or spoon into cooled cannoli shells.
- Garnish with lime wedges or sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
- If you are in a hurry, you can use prepared cannoli shells or the frozen puff pastry dough found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
- Do not fill cannoli shells more than a hour before serving.
- Cannoli tubes can be found in most kitchen supply stores.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Rebecca V :: Donna G :: Betsy F :: wendymoore :: Carol O :: jen dalbey :: Janna S :: charmaine g :: tiffany :: Twylla W :: JMa :: Kristine B :: Joan M :: Tracy L :: Crystal H :: Maria B :: Eva T :: Michelle T :: Tina G :: Aquagirl