Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
0:45 to 1:00
Submerge corn husks in water overnight
20 - 30 tamales
- 2 1/2 cups masa harina for tamales
- 20-30 corn husks for tamales
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 cup raisins
- Place corn husks in a large pot, bowl or sink and cover with hot water. Place a heavy object over to tamale husks to keep them submerged overnight. When ready to use: drain water, rinse husks, place in colander to drain and cover with damp paper towel.
- In an electric stand mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With mixer on low slowly add masa harina and baking powder; combine well. The tamales masa will be crumbly; add milk and mix until dough resembles cookie dough, about 3 minutes.
- In a saucepan add crushed pineapple with juice, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise and raisins. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until the filling is almost dry and has thickened, about 5 -8 minutes. Cool completely.
- Spread masa about 1/2 inches thick on each corn husk with a spoon. Spoon filling down the center of masa and fold sides of the husks in toward the center. Place tamale fold side down and repeat.
- Place tamales in a large steamer, upright. Fill steamer or tamalera with 2 inches of water. The water should not touch the tamales. Place a damp cloth or leftover damp corn husks over the upright tamales, cover with lid and steam for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until you see the tamales separating from their corn husk. Remove from steamer, serve warm.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Barbara :: JUANITA GORDON :: John L :: Recipe :: Carolebakes :: Elizabeth B :: Ben :: HKR :: Debbie Lowrance :: Country at Heart :: MB :: Tammy H :: candice :: Pie the Pretty Chef :: Judith M. :: KellyE :: Trisha A :: Lisa F :: gene p :: LORIG