- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food color, gel or paste
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- The cookie batter is stenciled: Make a stencil using a thick cereal box, cut a rectangle 6 x 3-inches using a Xacto® knife.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg whites one at a time, salt and vanilla extract. (Mixture may look a little curdled.)
- Add flour and mix until soft batter forms. Remove 1/8 of batter and add enough red food color gel to make bright red. Set aside.
- Place a silicone baking mat on a flat work surface; alternatively use a nonstick cookie sheet. Place stencil on it and drop 2-3 tablespoons of batter in center. Spread evenly. Make batter evenly flat and thickness of box using an offset cake frosting spatula, edge of a pie server or the back of a large knife.
- Continue stenciling until mat is full.
- Fit a small piping bag with a piping tip such as a Wilton® Number 2 and fill with red colored batter.
- Pipe diagonal stripes on stenciled batter.
- Place in oven and remain close by; bake until very light golden and only edges may show light browning. (Some may be lighter than others and can be returned for further baking later.)
- Remove from oven and immediately roll tightly.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Store cookies airtight.