- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons firmly packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar and additional water to make a total of 3/4 cup
- 2 large apples, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, peeled and shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two standard size loaf pans and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Cream butter and add sugar mixing until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and scrape bowl in between. Then, add vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix in. Add 1/3 of vinegar water and mix in. Repeat until all is used.
- Add apples and nuts and mix until just combined.
- Scrape batter into loaf pans and bake in oven for about 50 minutes or until cakes bounce back when lightly pressed in the center or a toothpick comes out clean.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
This is moist and delicious and works perfect as a snack or quick breakfast to go.