Popcorn Eye Balls
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
12 popcorn balls
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more to grease hands
- 1/2 cup bright white candy melt wafers, chopped into small pieces
- 18 cups popped popcorn
- 4 ounces white candy melts, melted and cooled slightly
- 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Blue, green, brown, and black icing coloring
- Black food coloring marker
- 2 ounces red candy melts, melted
- Pour sugar, salt, and corn syrup into a 4 cup or larger microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Heat mixture on high power for 3 minutes and 10 seconds. Use an oven mitt or towel to help remove bowl of boiling sugar syrup from microwave. Very carefully remove plastic wrap allowing hot steam to escape.
- Add butter and candy melts to syrup and stir until melted using a clean rubber spatula. Return to microwave and heat on high power for 1 minute. Stir until glossy and smooth.
- Pour popcorn into an extra large mixing bowl. Pour hot syrup over popcorn. Toss until evenly coated. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes and then using buttered hands, scoop and roll into 12 balls.
- Set popcorn balls on wax paper and allow them to cool completely while making Candy Clay for decoration.
- To make Candy Clay use a large microwave-safe bowl to melt and stir white candy melts and corn syrup just until combined. Pour white syrup onto a piece of plastic wrap, cover, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and knead candy clay until smooth. Reserve 1 teaspoon of white candy clay. Equally divide remaining candy clay into 4 pieces. Color pieces blue, green, brown and black.
- To make eyes, roll out blue, green, and brown candy clay to about 1/16-inch thickness and cut 4 1&3/4-inch circles from each color, re-rolling as needed.
- Roll out black candy clay and cut a total of 12 1-inch circles. Press one black circle onto each colored circle. Use a food coloring marker to make each circle look like an iris.
- To create a highlight in each eye, pinch off tiny pieces of white candy clay, roll them into balls, and press one onto each black pupil.
- To make eyes look bloodshot, pour melted red candy melts into a small zip top bag. Snip one tip off bag and pipe a small amount of candy melts on back of a candy clay eye. Press one onto each popcorn ball and then pipe red squiggles around popcorn ball to look like veins.
- Set popcorn balls aside for 30 minutes before packaging in plastic wrap or bags.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Carrie :: Michele B :: Darlene Hamilton :: Susan M :: ooolala930 :: Andrea W :: Michael :: wil :: Cartha G :: Vanessa M :: Sharon J :: Rhonda P :: bleonard :: Melisa Hill :: Kathy :: CReed :: Shirley M :: sandie u :: Stephanie F :: Littlejane