Refrigerate dough 1-3 hours
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Remove saucepan from heat and add sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Stir in molasses, water and vanilla. Add salt, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg; combine well. Whisk in egg.
- Transfer butter mixture to bowl of a stand mixer and add flour. Mix well until gingerbread dough forms.
- Spoon dough into a resealable bag. Seal and refrigerate dough at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- To make rolling of dough easier, place plastic bags filled with ice on area where you will be rolling dough. Remove after about 10 minutes and dry area. Dust flat surface with flour. Roll half of dough to 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut into bone shapes and place on prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Use a spoon or teaspoon to make indentions on ends of each bones to resemble a dog treat.
- Bake until cookies are browned, about 12 minutes. Bake longer for a crunchier cookie. Move cookies to cooling rack and let cool completely.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.