1+ hours chill time
45 minutes decorating time
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Royal Icing
- Halloween Sprinkles
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter until very light and creamy. Add sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt and beat until very well combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together and add in one step to above. Mix until dough forms. Do not overmix.
- Press dough about 1/2 inch thick onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes or overnight.
- Roll dough on evenly sugared kitchen towel 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes and place on parchment or lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and bake until very pale and edges are very light golden, about 9 minutes.
- Prepare royal icing while cookies cool. Tint/color royal icing based on your cookie shapes and decorate.
- Watch our video on decorating cookies with royal icing for great tips, techniques and more.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
For decorating tips, visit our friend Bridget Edwards' Bake at 350 blog.