Sweet Potato Latkes with Cranberry Applesauce
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- 1/2 bag (6 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1 large apple, such as Fuji
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice and zest from 1 orange
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 3 cups), washed, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons white onion, small diced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying, such as grapeseed or canola oil
- First, make applesauce. Combine all ingredients in a medium stock pot and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and simmer until apples and soft and cranberries pop, about 15 minutes. Process with an immersion blender or food processor until smooth. Cool.
- Make latkes: In a large bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch until combined. Shred latkes into water mixture and toss to coat. This will help crisp up latkes. Let sit for a few minutes. Then strain out water being careful not to discard white starch on the bottom. This will help crisp up latkes even more. Add onions to sweet potatoes and dry with towels as much as possible to remove moisture.
- Add in remaining starch, eggs, flour, sugar and salt and combine.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°F. Set aside paper towels for draining.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add oil. Oil should be hot enough that the latke batter sizzles when placed in the oil but doesn’t brown immediately. Place 1/4 cup dollops of latke batter into oil, careful not to crowd the pan. Fry one side until well browned, about 3-5 minutes. Then flip and fry the other side. Drain on paper towels. Keep latkes warm in the oven and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve latkes warm with cranberry applesauce.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Amy Kritzer @whatjewwannaeat.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Lorri Lund :: Fiona N :: Alice S :: Barbara Fiedler :: David K :: marayia poindexter :: joseph c :: ChefCarole :: Theresa Guevara :: KH :: Kelly :: Serina Alvarez :: Pamster :: Martha B :: bananafana :: Anna P :: KellyJo :: Rochelle :: nicole moore :: Denise Robertson