- 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (or 1 1/4 cups milk + 4 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- You will also need: sifter, griddle or skillet, small spoon, two mixing bowls, large spoon, measuring cups and spoons, egg beater and pancake turner
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda together into a mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, combine beaten egg, milk and margarine and then add to dry ingredients. Stir until barely mixed.
- Heat lightly greased griddle or skillet. With a small spoon, drop batter on hot skillet to make eyes, nose and mouth of a "funny face." Cook about a minute.
- Then, pour more batter over "funny face" to make a whole pancake. Cook until bubbly on top. Turn and cook until brown. Be careful to not overcook.
- Make Imperial Sugar’s Brown Sugar Syrup by bringing 2 cups light or dark brown sugar with 1 cup water to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over pancakes and serve.
Idea: Instead of funny face pancakes, drip batter into pan to make regular round pancakes, which will yield more pancakes.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Level of Difficulty: Hard
Click here to see our 1972 TV commercial for My First Cookbook!