1 hour to refrigerate dough
- 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon chocolate or vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped (or 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
- 2 ounces white fondant or candy clay
- gold food coloring spray or edible gold luster dust
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For the cookie dough: In a large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Mix in chocolate or vanilla extract and then add one egg at a time, mixing until fully combined.
- Whisk together cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and flour. Stir into butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Flatten dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap or place in a zip top bag. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Dust cutting board and rolling pin lightly with flour. Roll half of dough out to 3/16-1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut out 28 large circles using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Cut out 112 smaller circles using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookie cutouts on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake larger cookies for 8-10 minutes until tops of cookies lose their shine. Bake smaller cookies for 6-8 minutes. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- To prepare the chocolate ganache: Pour heavy whipping cream and chopped chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high power for 30 seconds then let bowl sit in microwave for 2 minutes before stirring until smooth. Let cool for about 15 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- To assemble and decorate cookies, begin by brushing a thin layer of ganache on top of one small round cookie and press another small cookie on top. Repeat, adding two more cookies to stack. Make 28 stacks of 4 small round cookies.
- Brush a thin layer of chocolate ganache on underside of a stack and press it in middle of a large cookie.
- Roll out fondant or candy clay to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 28 strips 3/16-inch wide by 5 1/4-inches long.
- Wrap one band around each stack of cookies at base. Cut off excess fondant, leaving a nice clean seam.
- Re-roll remaining fondant or candy clay and cut out 28 5/8-inch squares.
- Spray squares with gold food coloring spray or brush them with edible gold luster dust. Let coloring dry. Lightly bush back of each square with water and press over top of seam on fondant hat bands.
IMPERIAL SUGAR INSIGHT
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.