Chill time 1 hour to overnight
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lime or lemon (no white bitter pith)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 bag M&M’s (Valentine colors)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar and cream further. Add egg yolk, vanilla, zest of lime and salt, mix until well combined but not light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and coconut in a food processor and mix until coconut is chopped finely. (Without a food processor chop the coconut fine using a knife).
- Add coconut- flour mixture in one step to creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough flat on a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and chill in refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 1 hour or leave overnight.
- This dough tends to become soft very quickly during rolling. Tip: place 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area where you will be rolling dough. This will keep dough longer cool and make it easier to work. Using the least amount of flour during rolling will give the most delectable result.
- Turn on oven. Sprinkle the work surface with a small amount of flour and roll dough 4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into shapes and place on parchment or silicone baking mat lined or buttered cookie sheets.
- Top with M&M’S®. Note: Some M&M’S will develop a crack during baking. To avoid this you can bake cookies for a few minutes without the M&M’S® and half way during baking place them on cookies.
- Bake until very light golden, about 12 minutes, baking time will depend on thickness of cookies.