Scary White Chocolate Pretzel Eyeballs
All eyes will be on you when you serve these White Chocolate Pretzel Eyeballs at your next Halloween party. Kids will love making these eery eyes that seem to be staring at you wherever you go. Plus, let's be honest. The gross-out factor that they are eating bloodshot eyeballs is sure to up their Halloween street cred.
We took our delicious homemade pretzel recipe and instead of making large pretzels, we turned them into soft pretzel bites. When dipped in white chocolate, these ocular treats are a mix of salty and sweet - a feast for the eyes and the taste buds! This recipe makes 3 - 4 dozen eyeballs, depending on size of pretzel bite.
A word of caution for our littlest chefs, be careful when dipping the pretzel into the melted white chocolate. It's hot!
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) melted butter, lukewarm
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg or (additional) 1/4 cup melted butter
- One 12 ounce bag white chocolate melts
- Candy eyes
- Red icing (can use our Royal Icing recipe or store-bought)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together water, butter and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer until yeast is mostly dissolved. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add salt and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Add flour and mix use dough hook attachment on medium speed until combined. Touch the dough; if it is still really sticky and is clinging to mixing bowl, add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time until dough balls up and no longer sticks to bowl. Continue mixing using the dough hook attachment on medium speed for an additional 5 minutes. (If you do not have a stand mixer, knead by hand for 5 minutes instead.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll into small, one-inch balls.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl to form an egg wash, and brush tops of each pretzel until coated. (May also use melted butter.)
- Bake for 6 minutes, then broil for 1 - 2 minutes until brown.
- While pretzels are baking, melt white chocolate in microwave according to package directions.
- Remove pretzels from oven and using a skewer, dip round pretzel bite upside down into melted chocolate.
- Immediately after dipping in hot chocolate, attach candy eye to top of pretzel bite.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Once cooled, use red icing to add scary veins.
- Store in an airtight container. Best consumed within 3-5 days.