How to Make Butterfly Food
Almost as sweet as a butterfly kiss from your son or daughter, is spotting a Monarch or Painted Lady flying in your garden. With a bit of sugar and a few other key ingredients, you can entice these beautiful insects to stay awhile in your own back yard, even if you don’t grow the type of flowers that typically attract butterflies.
- 1 pound Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 or 2 cans stale beer
- 3 mashed, overripe banana
- 1 cup of molasses or syrup
- 1 cup of fruit juice
- 1 shot of rum
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Paint the mixture on trees, fence posts, rocks, or stumps - or simply soak a sponge in the mixture and hang it from a tree limb.
*This butterfly food recipe is recommended by Matthew Tekulsky, author of "The Butterfly Garden" (Harvard Common Press, 1985).