Yarn Easter Eggs and Easter Baskets
Get creative with spring and Easter decorations with just a little string, balloons, water and sugar. Kids will love to mix together the sugar water mixture that holds the project together and the end result will make your home festive just in time for the Easter Bunny to make his appearance. Make this an annual Easter tradition that the whole family will look forward to every year.
- Blow up a balloon to the size you want your egg or basket. Tie the end and add a piece of string about 8 inches long. You'll use this to hang it to dry when the project is complete.
- Wrap the colored crochet cotton around the balloon. You can cover it completely or leave open spaces. When finished, secure the string end under another layer so it isn't loose.
- Mix 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 cup of sugar. Mix completely until all sugar is dissolved. The mixture will be thick with a glue-like consistency.
- Put the string-wrapped balloon into the sugar water mixture until it is completely wet. Make sure all sides are coated with the sugar-water mixture. (NOTE: Larger balloons will require more sugar mixture to hold their shape.)
- Hang the balloon to dry over the sink or outside.
- Once the string is completely dry (this can take up to 24 hours depending on how much string you use and how thick the string is), pop and remove the balloon.
- Shape your basket and add ribbon, Easter grass and little bunnies or chicks to make it festive.
- If you want to store and keep your eggs, spray them with clear spray paint.