- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- Royal Icing
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat and add sugar, molasses, water and vanilla. Add all spices and combine well. Mix in egg.
- Transfer mixture to a machine or regular bowl and add flour. Mix until dough comes together. Do not over mix. Refrigerate dough at least for one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To make rolling of dough easier, place plastic bags filled with ice on area where you will be rolling dough. Remove after about 10 minutes and dry area. Meanwhile butter or line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Dust with flour and roll a portion of dough between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch. Cut into desired shapes and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned around edges and barely feel firm when touched, about 9 to 11 minutes.
- If decorating cookies, prepare Royal Icing and tint as desired. Decorate cookies and allow icing to harden, 2 hours to overnight depending on how thick icing is.