- 2 cups crushed gingersnaps
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted butter
Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling
- 3 packages (8 oz) cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To make cheesecake crust, use a rolling pin or food processor and crush gingersnaps to obtain two cups. Add melted butter and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan and place in oven for 9 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, place pan on three layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan with foil. Ensure that no water can penetrate through foil. Place springform pan in a roasting pan and set aside.
- To make pumpkin cheesecake: Beat soft cream cheese and both sugars on low speed until well blended with no lumps. Scrape bowl well.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added amount to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl and beater well in between additions.
- Add pumpkin, spices, and vanilla and mix to combine - do not beat, just mix by hand. (Don’t overbeat cream cheese mixture.) Pour into cake pan over ginger crust. Pour water into roasting pan, about 1-inch high, and place in oven.
- Bake pumpkin cheesecake until center of cake no longer trembles, about 1:45-2:00 hours. You could also try baking for 1:45 minutes, then turn off the oven and open the door to let cheesecake cool off. It will continue baking from residual heat.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove cheesecake from refrigerator about an hour before serving to bring it to room temperature.
- Make praline topping just before serving to your guests for best results. Begin by toasting pecans for eight minutes in a 350°F oven.
- In a saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil excluding pecans. Boil for three minutes ensuring that mixture will not boil over. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and spread on surface of cheesecake.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake in pan to remove. Use a sharp knife to cut as desired.
Helpful hints for this Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe:
- Drain pumpkin on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Just to be safe, butter inside of your springform pan completely.
- Use a good no-leak springform pan.
- Use heavy-duty aluminum foil underneath pan, just in case.
- For those with nut allergies who need a substitute for the pecans, saute green apples in brown sugar and drizzle over pumpkin cheesecake.
- It’s best to use a standing mixer vs. a hand-held mixer.