- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, browned (see note below) and cooled
- 2 1/2 cups (11.25 oz by weight) all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz by weight) Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz by weight) Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz by weight) Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line two large baking sheets with a Silpat liner or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice together until blended. Set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, add all of sugars, along with cooled brown butter and using a paddle attachment, mix until well-blended. It won’t be creamy like a normal cookie batter. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until combined. With mixer on low sweet, add bourbon and mix until it is distributed.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Using a 2 3/4-ounce ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are just done on edges.
- Cool for about 5 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
To brown butter: place butter pieces in a small sauce pan over medium heat. When butter begins to foam, stir with a wire whisk and continue to whisk constantly. The color will begin to change and you’ll see some brown flakes on the bottom of the pan. Continue to stir until the butter has a nutty fragrance and is golden brown. Remove from heat and stir until the foam subsides. The whole process will take 8-10 minutes. Be patient!
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.