- 2 1/3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (the best quality you can find)
- 3/4 cup half and half, warmed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate (chopped fine)
- 1 liter quality vodka
- 2 vanilla beans
- In medium pan, over medium high heat, combine sugar, water and salt. Stir until it comes to a boil then allow to boil unstirred until it turns a deep amber color and smells like caramel. Be careful it can turn from caramel to burnt sugar really quickly.
- Remove from heat immediately and add cocoa powder, stir vigorously. Add half and half and stir until combined.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate and stir until completely smooth.
- Pour into large glass container with tight sealing lid, add vodka and vanilla beans and seal.
- Shake vigorously. Store in cool dark place; shaking every few days for 2 weeks.
- After a few weeks, strain the liqueur through a coffee filter set in a mesh strainer, into a clean jar or large pourable container.
- Pour into bottles or jars, seal and store in refrigerator.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.