- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup cold (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pear Cranberry Filling
- 3 large pears, sliced and cored
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add cubed butter to bowl and use your fingers to work butter into flour until mixture is consistency of wet sand.
- Stir almond extract into Greek yogurt and then add to dough (dough will be very wet), and then turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
- Knead dough a few times until it comes together, adding more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, if dough is too sticky to handle. Roll dough into an 8 x 10 inch rectangle and dust both sides with flour before folding it into thirds as if you were folding a letter.
- Rotate dough 90° and roll it out again into an 8 x 10-inch rectangle. Fold dough again into thirds then wrap it securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- While dough refrigerates, mix pears, cranberries and sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out chilled dough on a well-floured surface into an 11-12 inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Spread the filling onto center of crust leaving 1 1/2 inch of crust around edges. Fold edges over filling and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating every 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown and bubbly.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.