- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 block (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Pinch salt
- 5 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin (preserve color by soaking them in an ice water bath with a bit of lemon juice added)
- 1/2 cup divided Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8-10 fresh figs, sliced
- 1 bottle (8 oz) pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup good quality bourbon
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Bourbon Pomegranate Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F, making sure the rack is in middle of oven.
- While oven is preheating, mix together cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar, bourbon and salt until completely smooth.
- Roll out pie crust to about 15 inches diameter. Spread cream cheese filling in the center of crust to make a 12 inch circle.
- Toss apples with 1/4 cup sugar then place in a neat pattern to cover cheese filling. Once you have used up all of apples, top with fig slices. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Fold edges of crust in. It will cover part of filling but not all.
- Lightly brush crust with cream or milk. Bake for 45-50 minutes on a large baking sheet until crust is golden brown.
- While crostata is baking, prepare Bourbon Pomegranate Sauce. Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed pot. Bring to a hard simmer. Simmer on medium low heat until reduced to half and thick like syrup.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Drizzle warm crostata with Bourbon Pomegranate Sauce before serving.
The Bourbon Pomegranate Sauce is also fantastic added to seltzer or other drinks.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.