- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup + 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (from 10-12 large eggs)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and first 3/4 cup sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl whip on medium speed, egg whites, second 3/4 cup sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and salt. Whip to medium peaks and make sure not to whip egg whites to stiff peaks!
- Using a spatula gently fold in the flour mixture. Remove half of batter and place in separate bowl. Gently fold in cocoa powder, ensuring not to fold too much to prevent meringue from collapsing.
- Layer batter with vanilla, chocolate and then vanilla again into an ungreased angel food cake or tube pan. Using a knife, gently swirl the batters to create the marbled effect.
- Place in a 350°F oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger. The cake will initially rise and near the end of baking start to shrink slightly.
- Turn pan upside down and allow cool.
- Run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen cake.
- Serve with sorbet, fruit, ice cream or chocolate ganache.