- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats (quick cooking or old fashioned)
- 1 cup butterscotch morsels
- Browned Butter Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 - 4 tablespoons milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Add both granulated and light brown sugars and mix further. Add eggs and vanilla mixing until mixture is combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. On low speed, add dry ingredients in one-step and then immediately add oats and morsels. Mix until combined.
- Scoop batter with a small ice cream scoop or big rounded tablespoons. Place on cookies on lightly greased cookies sheets. Flatten cookies with lightly floured hands.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown and center is still very soft. The oatmeal cookies will firm as they cool.
- Frosting: Melt butter in a heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted and lightly browned; remove from heat. Combine confectioner’s sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Add browned butter, Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until spreading consistency.
- Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons frosting on half of the cooled cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.