Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
Streusel Crumb topping
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, very cold
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice unpeeled rhubarb in 1/4-inch slices and place in a bowl large enough to handle all ingredients.
- Wash and cut strawberries in half or in 4 if very large. Add to rhubarb.
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add to fruit. Toss until completely combined.
- Scoop mixture into ramekins or any type of bake proof vessel, filling to edge. Cover and wrap surface of each with a piece of aluminum foil. Cut a hole in center for steam to escape.
- Place dishes on aluminum foil lined (for easy clean up) cookie sheet and place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until filling makes thick bubbles like honey, about 5-10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile make streusel topping. Using a grater, grate butter (as you grate cheese) onto flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt mixture. Quickly rub together until coarse meal texture is obtained.
- Evenly scatter streusel onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and place in oven until golden brown, about 13 minutes. Set aside.
- Sprinkle streusel onto baked strawberry rhubarb filling, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and serve.
Baking streusel topping separate from filling may seem odd at first but this method ensures a perfect crisp surface every time.