- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 peeled apples cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 batch crumble topping
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Butter 4 loaf pans well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine pumpkin, oil, eggs, and buttermilk in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, dark brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, and baking soda. Stir into pumpkin mixture until JUST combined.
- Fold in apples and distribute evenly among loaf pans. The batter should come about halfway up the pan, don’t worry, there will be a LOT of crumble to top it off.
- Prepare Crumble Topping: Mix all ingredients together with your hands until it will stick together when gently squeezed.
- Cover the top with crumble until only 1/4 of the pan is visible.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until wooden toothpick or skewer comes out with a few crumbs when inserted into middle of loaf.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.