Black Forest Cookies
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jar (10 oz, about 36) morello cherries, or sub maraschino cherries
- 6 ounces chopped semi-sweet chocolate (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add sour cream, egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, blending until combined. Batter will be thick and fudgy. Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Drain cherries, reserving the juice, and lightly pat cherries dry. Once dough has chilled, shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. With your thumb, carefully press down center of each dough ball to create a small “well.” Place one cherry in center of each cookie.
- Make frosting and bake cookies: In small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk, constantly stirring until the chocolate nearly melts. Remove from heat, then stir in 4 teaspoons of reserved cherry juice, coffee and vanilla until mixture is smooth and glossy. Spoon 1 teaspoon of frosting over each cherry so that the cherry is nearly covered. Bake for 8 minutes. Rest on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Clarke @WellPlated.